The Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. Foundation was established in 1953 by an initial $100,000 gift from Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. The Foundation really came into being upon the receipt of his $1,000,000 bequest in 1967 ($6.5 million in inflation adjusted dollars). While exercising its philanthropic mission, and without additional fund raising, the Foundation grew to a maximum size of nearly $60 million. Since its founding, except for the transient participation of Dr. Mallinckrodt’s youngest son, George, the Foundation has been guided by a disinterested volunteer board, initially led by Dr. Shields Warren, of Boston, and consistently served by Mr. Oliver Langenberg, its longtime Chair. With this leadership over the years, a small band of volunteers has shepherded Edward Mallinckrodt’s legacy by tending to the foundation’s investments and allocating its biomedical grants and awards.